Cultural tourism is a form of travel that allows you to immerse yourself in the culture of a destination, to know its history, traditions, customs, music, dances, gastronomy and handicrafts. In Panama, a country with a rich cultural diversity, there are many options to enjoy cultural tourism. Here are some ideas:
- Old City of Panama-This is a site of historical and culturally significant that it has been declared a world Heritage site by UNESCO. The Old town is known for its Spanish colonial architecture, with cobbled streets, historic squares, old churches and buildings with centuries of history. Here you can visit museums, art galleries, crafts shops, and enjoy the vibrant cultural life of the city.
- Festival of the Marjoram: This is one of the festivals of traditional music and most important of Panama, which is held in the town of Guarare, in the province of Los Santos. During the festival, make presentations of typical music of panama, with the prominence of the guitar and the marjoram, a stringed instrument native. There are also traditional dances, crafts and cultural activities that show the wealth of the panamanian culture.
- Folk dances: Panama has a great diversity of folk dances that represent the traditions and the identity of different regions of the country. Among them are la Diabla Dirty and el Torito), which are typical dances of the interior of the country, as well as the Skirt, which is the national dance of Panama, and is characterized by the colorful costumes that look the dancers. Attend presentations of folk dances is a way to immerse yourself in the panamanian culture and appreciate the richness of their traditions.
- Gastronomy panama: The food is an important part of the culture of any country, and Panama is no exception. The gastronomy of panama is a mixture of influences from indigenous, Spanish, african and other cultures that have left their mark on the country. You can enjoy typical dishes such as stew, ceviche, rice with pigeon, tamales and empanadas, among others. Try the local food is a delicious way to immerse yourself in the panamanian culture and discover the flavors and culinary traditions.
- Art and crafts: Panama has a rich artistic tradition and craftsmanship which can be seen in its art galleries, markets and artisan shops. You can find paintings, sculptures, ceramics, jewelry, and other art objects that represent the culture and traditions of the country. You can also buy typical handicrafts such as molas, skirts, masks and baskets, which are made by local artisans and represent the wealth and culture of Panama.